Applications for the 2019 Cadet program have now Closed.
Reitsma Constructions is a long established medium sized building company operating in and around the Sydney metropolitan area from its head office in Seven Hills. The Company is focused on many facets of commercial construction, specialising in Education, Retail Automotive, Aged Care and Churches. We are experienced in various types of contracts including "construct only", "design and construct" and "construction management". The majority of our work comes from repeat work through good working relationships with clients and consultants.
Our ideal candidates would be studying Construction Management at University, in third or fourth year. Generally, when in the office, the applicant will be required to work 4 days a week during university periods, and 5 days per week for the remainder. When working on site, the cadet will be required to work on Saturdays also, as necessary. The projects will be generally between 1-15 million dollars, with the occasional larger projects.
Rotation | All round experience in the commercial construction industry.
As part of our Cadet program, you will be placed on a rotation as follows:
- Eight months working on site as a leading hand / site engineer.
- Eight months working within the estimating department.
- Eight months working as part of a project team working on 2-3 various projects.
Upon completion of this rotation, you may have the opportunity to move into one of these fields.
Personal attributes | What the role requires:
- A strong work ethic.
- Ability to work within a team.
- Initiative and willingness to learn.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
ABOUT THE JOB
Working on Site
- Working with a site manager, assisting with the management of the day to day operations of the site.
- Communicating and managing the sub- contractors and suppliers on site.
- Assisting with set-out.
- General labouring.
- Checking material orders and quantities.
- Managing site documentation.
- Communicating with head office regarding various issues via email and telephone.
- Assisting with programming.
Working in the Estimating Department
- Liaising with sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Preparation and sending of sub-contract packages.
- "Take off" of all elements of construction
- Document control.
- Using Buildsoft and Buildtools.
- Develop an understanding of how to prepare and rate a bill of quantity. Prepare a tender submission.
Working within a Construction Project team
- Liasing with sub-contractors and suppliers for quotations and clarifications on their quotes.
- Processing sub-contractor and supplier invoices along with security of payment schedules.
- Managing the project document control.
- Preparation of sub-contract letting schedules.
- Subcontractor meetings.
- Using the following software packages – Buildtools / Buildsoft / Microsoft Excel / Microsoft Word / CHEOPS
- Preparing and sending RFI's.
- Preparing and issuing variations.
- Meeting minutes.
- Preparation of sub-contracts and supplier orders
- Negotiating sub-contract agreements.
- Assisting the project manager in managing the project budget.